Monday, July 26, 2010

1st Family Trip To The Beach























































Spencer and I finally decided that it was time to head to the beach with the kids. We decided to go to Myrtle Beach, where we knew the water would be safe and it was close enough that we could drive there. All in all, the kids and us, had a blast! Trips are definitely more fun when your kids are happy and like what they are doing. We really weren't sure how Spence or Jaidyn would like the sand or the ocean, but as you see, there was not one ounce of complaining except when it was time to go back to the room.

Our trip started out a little crazy when Jaidyn and I spent the entire first day there at the ER. We knew she was not 100% when we left to go, but definitely not anything at the time that would have made us stay home. We left Wednesday evening and by Thursday she was not able to keep anything down. There was explosive nastiness coming out both ends and that is putting it lightly. We destroyed a Zaxby's, I-HOP, Miyabi's, ER waiting room and several outfits all in a 2 day period. When I called the pediatrician they told me to start giving her pedialyte, but she could not keep that down either. It was coming back out within seconds. They then said to immediately get her to an Urgent Care facility. So that morning of arrival we took her over to Urgent Care, who sent us to Doctor's Care because she was too young for them to see her. As soon as we arrived there they got her back immediately and told me that either we can drive her over to the hospital ER or the ambulance could take her. I called Spencer, who in the mean time was taking Spence on over to a beach somewhere (b/c hospitals are not the place for healthy 2 y.o.'s) and told him to come back and pick me up again. They sent us over to the nearest hospital and the most ran down, that was obviously for out-of-towners only. I didn't care at the time, I just wanted her taken care of. I get in there and tell them what is going on and they tell me to get a number and wait! I was, needless to say, NOT HAPPY, but I did it...up until Jaidyn started throwing up on me in the waiting area and could not even hold her head up. I was definitely getting worried at this point. She threw up all the way to the nurses station and I told them she needed to be seen immediately. They asked me to step out b/c it was a sterile center and let her finish throwing up in the bathroom, as they handed me a plastic container for her. I admit, I lost it a little, but I was next to be seen. Oh well! Once they got her back, I admit, she was well taken care of and we were able to leave that evening around 5:30. She was diagnosed with gastroenteritis, which was a 4-5 day virus, and they put her on some medication. The vomitting stopped by that evening and the explosive poop stopped 4 days later. It was crazy.

In the mean time, Spence loved his day at the beach and everyday after. She did too and you would have never known she was not feeling well. She's a trooper and going to be a very tough girl! Jaidyn loved to try to eat the sand and I really thought that after the first bite of it, she would stop, but no. I had to constantly keep her hands out of her mouth and watch her. Spence loved playing with his beach toys and everyone else's. He loved going out into the waves with his daddy and was not scared at all of the ocean. We will definitely be making a trip to the beach at least once a year!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! What a trip! Glad you were able to salvage a great time! You bring the party!
    Love,
    MOM G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you all had a good time! I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip...Minus the first few days! POOR JAIDYN! Glad it didn't last the whole trip.

    P.S.- I am in LOVE with her pineapple swimsuit! I saw it earlier this summer at Janie and Jack and tried to buy it online for both of my girls (for next summer) but they didn't have it in both of their sizes. Such a bummer...They seriously have the cutest bathing suits though!

    ReplyDelete